lördag 16 mars 2013

Pheasant Tail Nymph - The Original (Almost)

The Pheasant Tail Nymph




          Well I guess that the Pheasant Tail is one of the most known nymphs at least in Europe. I remember when I was a boy reading all that there could be found about fly fishing in the local library. I practically lived there. Reading everything from Charles Cotton and forward. One of the known fly fishermen I read about was Frank Sawyer. The legendary river keeper of one of the most desirable chalk streams. That introduced me to the quite simple but most effective nymph, the Pheasant Tail Nymph. I remember struggling to tie it just with copper wire and strands from the pheasants tail feather. It didn't turn out to good so I decided to add a material, a matching tying thread. That made the trick now it was much easier to tie. I guess the problem was that I had a thicker wire than what was supposed to be used to tie this fly.




           To me the Pheasant Tail Nymph is closely connected to a hand vice. I remember spending a winter probably in the beginning of the 70'ties tying hundreds of pheasant tail nymphs while watching TV using this hand vice. I still have most of them in one of my fly boxes while some of them have been lost fishing in my small favorite stream. Either they're stuck in the trees or at the bottom of the stream. Anyway I've come to appreciate this fly or and some of the variants of it using material that wasn't available at that time. A wonderful but simple fly well worth having at the stream. Until next post ...

Kind regards,
Mats Olsson

CLICK TO ENLARGE THE PICTURES



Inga kommentarer: