The first thing that I thought of was the footprint the fly would make in the surface of the water. I first made a prototype without tail since midges doesn't have tails like mayflies have. When looking at the prototype (kind of hard to try it out now during winter here in Sweden) I realized that, to set down correctly in the water, it needed a tail. Hence the fly above. Another key attractor is the wings so I made them a little longer. Finally it had to be able to ride on the water without touching it with anything than the feet (the legs of hackle). The following picture shows that it really works.
So at least in theory this fly should work as expected. I'm eagerly awaiting the spring to be able to try it out and see if it needs any modifications. That's all for now. Until next post ...
Hope you enjoyed the post. Any questions or reflections just give a comment since they're always welcome.